The key to optimum oral health begins with protecting your teeth. Always make sure to avoid risks that could easily damage your teeth and your tooth enamel. Some dangers are easy to spot, and some are hidden to the naked eye.
Are you taking the appropriate steps to protect your smile? Listed below are a few common risks to your oral health, and a few tips to help prevent them from occurring:
– Always avoid bad habits such as smoking and chewing tobacco, and recreational drugs.
– If you play contact sports or partake in high-risk activities, be sure to wear headgear and mouthguards to protect your teeth and jaw.
– Avoid chewing on objects such as pens and pencils. You could cause a TMJ disorder in your jaw or loosen or crack a tooth.
– Avoid tough and thick foods that crack your teeth. This includes hard candies, ice, corn on the cob, and corn kernels. Never bite into a product too hard until you make sure your teeth will be able to handle it.
– Avoid wearing mouth jewelry as it can be a choking hazard, chip and crack teeth, and cause infections.
– Sugar is converted into harmful acids in the mouth that eat away at tooth enamel. Avoid sugar as much as you can.
– Do not use your mouth as a bottle opener. This is an easy way to chip and crack teeth.
If you would like to schedule a professional cleaning at Smiles of Distinction or would like a comprehensive oral exam from Dr. Bartholemew Schultz and our team at our dentist office in Savage, Minnesota, please give us a call at 952-894-2545. Come in and enjoy our services destined to give you a better smile!